Tuesday, January 5, 2021

January Theme Teaching

 When I was in the classroom, January was always the beginning of theme teaching that carried over into February and March.  I LOVE theme teaching and my students were always engaged in our activities.  You can tie in so many standards in a unit and get your firsties researching too! Below are some of my favorite theme units for January. They can be printed and sent home to your remote learners.  I still believe that these students need tangible learning where they use scissors, glue, pencils, crayons, etc.  Create packets periodically and have parents drive thru to pick up.

Martin Luther King Jr. 

First graders need to understand segregation and how it effected so many people, both adults and children. Martin Luther King Jr.'s story is one of faith, courage, and hope that can help children understand the civil rights movement. I used the lap book unit below to teach my firsties about Dr. King.


Purchase the unit HERE.

Penguins
Another favorite of my firsties in January were PENGUINS.  Who doesn't love a penguin? I created an Emperor Penguin Family Scrapbook for my firsties to work through.  It's an 11 day unit with a teacher plan included. It can be printed and sent home to your remote learners.  I still believe that these students need tangible learning where they use scissors, glue, pencils, crayons, etc.  Create packets periodically and have parents drive thru to pick up. 
Purchase the unit HERE.

Tackylocks, Tacky the Penguin
One of the last theme units I taught in January was my Tackylocks book study. It is a fun unit to teach after your penguin unit.  I have carefully created a unit tied to several common core reading standards. I want all of my units to focus on academics alongside the creative piece of the craft. This is such a fun story! I know your firsties will love it!  If you need the book, Tackylocks and the Three Bears, you can purchase it HERE on Amazon

Your firsties will love making this craft of Tackylocks.  Purchase the whole unit HERE.




No comments:

Post a Comment

Pin It button on image hover