Monday, February 4, 2013

Ruby the Brave

I have created a fun Social Studies unit and wanted to share with you guys.  I love The Story of Ruby Bridges and decided I would spend this whole week on Ruby.  I read the book to my kiddos today and they were so involved with the story.  It bothered them terribly that Ruby wasn't allowed to go to school with white children.  They made some great text to text connections with The Story Book of Martin Luther King and with The Ugly Duckling. I knew the obvious connection with MLK but was blown away by the ugly duckling connection.  One of my students said, " This story reminds me of The Ugly Duckling because others didn't like him because of how he looked on the outside and they did that to Ruby too."  WOW!  Out of the mouths of babes!  Go HERE to get your copy. 2020 update!  See pics below.










2 comments:

  1. This is so cute and I cannot wait to use this next year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! My firsties loved learning all about Ruby! Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover