Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Let Them Research

The other day I wrote about how engaging research can be for your firsties.  So... I decided to create a Social Studies unit around my tourist craftivity that I made originally for the story, A Trip to Washington, D.C.   Basically the craftivity becomes a large foldable book with four mini foldables inside. 










This is such a fun activity. My kiddos loved it and it looks fantastic hanging in the hallway. :0)  

We created an anchor chart to hang with our tourists, but it's hard to see in this picture.  I'll take an "up close" of the anchor chart and post it next week. 

I have integrated the common core standards, W1.8, RI 1.5 and RI 1.7.  Your firsties will research four attractions in D.C. that they want to learn more about and create mini-foldables with facts and pictures.  I always partner my firsties when researching.  They learn so much from each other!  Go HERE or HERE to get this unit.  Have fun!!

2 comments:

  1. Oh how cute!!! My Kindergarteners LOVE to research too! LOVE IT!!!

    Krazee 4 Kindergarten

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Researching makes them feel like big kids and they learn so much in the process.

    ReplyDelete

Pin It button on image hover